Monday, July 7, 2008

Awakened


Friday was July 4th – Independence Day. Growing up, I never called it Independence Day. It was simply the Fourth of July, a day I’d spend in the park with family and friends, playing, eating barbecue and celebrating a day off from school.

July 4th has never been about freedom or patriotism in my book. Instead, in some twisted way, if I allowed myself to think about the day’s meaning for too long, I’d only be reminded of how little independence I felt. Imagine that; I’ve lived in the land of opportunity, the land of the "free" all of my life, yet have felt much like a caged bird.

In so many ways, the day dedicated to commemorating America’s independence from Great Britain is symbolic of America's bondage — emotional, spiritual and psychological. Somewhere over the course of 200 plus years of “independence,” what little humanity we possessed, crumbled under the weight of materialism and the preoccupation with and consumption of things.

As I celebrated my Fourth of July at a music festival in Milwaukee, I wanted to be saddened by the pervasive lack of humility and self respect I witnessed, but then I remembered Alice Walker’s words. The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. Armed with these words and newfound conviction, I decided to claim the freedom that is rightfully mine. So this weekend, I celebrated Independence – my own.

I celebrated independence from the fear that my difference renders me small among the privileged.
I celebrated independence from the hurt that often leaves me silent in the face of adversity.
I celebrated my God, for being awesome, loving and forgiving at the height of my selfishness.
I looked around me at the faces of the unknown and I celebrated peace of mind because I no longer feel compelled to belong.

Freedom is mine this Independence Day

2 comments:

CARMARAND said...

It's just awesome and thrilling to witness the enlightenment and spiritual stirrings of a soul hungry for answers, for knowledge and understanding.

There's a wealth of inspiration and encouragement to be found in the Word. There are quite a few Scriptures that deal with our identities, our sense of self, to help us relate correctly with God and with others. Here are a few that have really helped me:

Ephesians 1:6 tells me that I am ACCEPTED in the Beloved (Jesus). As one minister once said, "When the King of Kings has accepted, welcomed and even adopted you into His family, why should you be overly concerned about the acceptance or rejection of mere mortals?"

Romans 8:37 tells me that I am more than a conqueror (or superconqueror as the Complete Jewish Bible puts it).

2 Cor. 5:17~~ "Therefore, if anyone is united with the Messiah, he is a new creation---the old has passed; look, what has come is fresh and new!" (CJB)

John 15:5~~ Jesus said,"...without Me you can do nothing."

Phil. 4:13~~ "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me."

When you believe these truths because you've experienced them---not just read and recited them---they'll make a great difference in how you view yourself. These Scriptures and others like them are the perfect antidote to insecurity and self-doubt.

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb." (Psalm 19:7-10)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. I love it. Truly.